Outpost (Razorland Series #2)

Outpost - Ann Aguirre It took me awhile to really get into Outpost. Unlike [b:Enclave|7137327|Enclave (Razorland, #1)|Ann Aguirre|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327877657s/7137327.jpg|7400809], in Outpost, Deuce, Fade, Stalker, and Tegan are now a part of Salvation. The town of Salvation is full of those who do not understand a female Huntress. Instead, they expect Deuce to act and dress like a girl. Deuce struggles to understand the ways of the people she's living among while still trying to maintain her sense of self. She worked hard in the College Enclave and is proud of her Huntress status and her fighting abilities. Here, in Salvation, she's stared at and ridiculed for her differences. Despite the prejudices she faces, Momma Oaks and her husband Edmund (her adoptive parents) are doing their best to not only help her fit in but also understand who she is and what she's been through in the past. Of the four teens, Tegan is fitting in the best and has really taken to life in Salvation. As the story progresses, Deuce learns that it's okay to be a girl as well as a Huntress. While she compressed that part of herself to survive in Gotham, in Topside she allows "the girl" to experience the relationships in her life and the emotions that come with doing so. Once the story moves outside the walls of Salvation, the pace of the book changed and my interest increased. We learn more about the Freaks, or Muties as they're called in Salvation, and the action picks up. The group notices the Freaks are acting differently, which causes them to consider whether true safety is possible, even in Salvation.As much as the beginning dragged a bit for me, I understood Ann's need to explain Deuce's experiences with the people of Salvation. Without that portion of the book, her personal growth and changes later in the book would not have had as big of an impact on the reader. The book does end of a bit of a cliffhanger, but a somewhat hopeful one. I am anxiously awaiting the finale, [b:Horde|10596724|Horde (Razorland, #3)|Ann Aguirre|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1362287692s/10596724.jpg|15504353] - due out in Oct.