First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World Series #1)

First Drop of Crimson - Jeaniene Frost For the past several years, I've been reading Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress books and was excited when I found out that she was writing Night Huntress World which would tell the stories of the fabulous side characters from Bones' & Cat's world. And First Drop of Crimson did NOT disappoint!I am a die-hard Bones fan, but I have to say Spade won me over big time. His softer side really came through, as did his pain for the loss of his human love, Giselda. Denise likened him to "a Calvin Klein ad ... women would be tempted to lick the page". OooLaLa!As hard as Denise has tried to stay out of the sup world, she's dragged back in by Raum, the demon who's hunting for her ancestor, Nathaniel, who has somehow managed to renig on his deal. She cannot reach Cat or Bones, so she turns to the only other vampire she can think of that may help her, Spade.They are both determined to get this done and return to their lives, but their attraction (felt in previous book) cannot be denied by either of them. But, Denise suffers from PTSD after the brutal loss of her husband, Randy, Bones' friend. And, Spade stays away from relationships with humans, who are "aside from tasting delicious, they were usually more trouble than they were worth". Both Spade and Denise change in ways throughout the book that bring them closer together. Bones cracks me up when he realizes his long time friend has fallen for Denise, "Lucifer's bouncing balls, that's why you're acting like a nutter! You've gone and fallen in love with her. Bloody hell ..." Night Huntress characters, Cat, Bones, Ian (Bones' now-co-ruler), Fabian (Cat's friendly ghost), Alten, and Mencheres (Spade's sire), make an appearance when Spade & Denise realize they need help doing what needs to be done. I canNOT wait for the next book about Mencheres, the 4000 yr old Master vampire and Kira.