Dancing With the Devil

Dancing with the Devil  - Keri Arthur I have to say that although I didn't bathe this book in stars, Keri Arthur's early writing style (and sometimes cheesy lines) throughout didn't stop me from getting attached to Nikki & Michael. The ending left me wanting more and more I shall have! I will definitely be reading book 2, [b:Hearts in Darkness|4969823|Hearts in Darkness|Keri Arthur|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348950431s/4969823.jpg|14513] and probably the rest of the series.Dancing with the Devil introduces us to Nikki & Michael. Nikki James is a Private Investigator with strong psychic abilities. Her abilities include psychometry (the ability to hold an object and sense some history of the owner) and telekinesis, among others. Michael Kelly is a 300-year old vampire who works for the Damask Circle, an organization comprised of not only vampires, but others not necessarily termed human. He's also a vamp vegetarian of sorts, vowing never to take another human life, he does not feed on human blood. Nikki has been hired by a wealthy father to find his missing daughter, Monica Trevgard. Michael is on a mission to hunt down and kill Jasper, a crazed vampire. Their missions quickly intersect and they are drawn to each other, in more ways than just physical.They are both haunted by things that happened in their past. Things that keep them from admitting their true feelings for each other. It takes a while {into the book} to learn what those things are, but once revealed, it helps the reader understand where they've been, what's been done and why they now have trouble letting go of the control they try so hard to maintain.Jake Morgan, Nikki's boss and friend, met her when she was sixteen. They saved each other's lives that day. He helps Nikki and Michael on their case, while also gently forcing them to admit their feelings and try to open up.Dancing with the Devil is not as well-written as "Riley Jenson", but if you are interested in strong-willed, determined H/h interacting with vamps and other paranormal creatures/issues in a closed world, then you should enjoy this quick read.Scene that made me giggle:"Using his own kinetic abilities, he eased the shirt up and over her head, then tossed it across the room.{Nikki} "Now I know what the romance books mean when they say he undressed her with his mind."