House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7)

House Rules  - Chloe Neill House Rules picks up three days before the house split from the Greenwich Presidium. The Cadogan House vamps are on the verge of becoming Rogues. Merit's life is as chaotic as ever. She's fighting her jealousy of Lacey, who's back at Ethan's request, for the GP meeting. Although Ethan's asked her back for purely strategic reasons, she's still hot for Master. She does whatever she can to turn Ethan against Merit and convince Merit she's not good enough for Ethan. Her efforts are made easier when she spots Merit meeting with Jonas and scents a blood exchange between the two. Their exchange, done for the Red Guard initiation, was not romantic, but Lacey doesn't know that and she's able to sway Ethan with the news. Add to that Ethan's shock when he learns of Merit's commitment to the RG and you have yet another wedge between these two who just can't seem to get a break. While I felt sorry for Merit, I was frustrated by her decision to tell Ethan about the RG. It's a clandestine group and after less than a day she's already spilled the beans about her membership. WTH? She couldn't think of something else to tell Ethan? She had to know that she'd have to lie people, including Ethan, to protect the secret. I get that she is trying to remain honest with Ethan. But, were that the case, wouldn't she have explained her decision PRIOR TO Lacey poking her nose in and causing trouble? Why wait? She knew she'd be joining and going through the initiation, but didn't say anything to him until forced to do so. For this reason, I cannot applaud her honesty.In addition to her house and heart issues, Merit is trying to help find out who is behind the death of vampire pairs. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the killings. She turns to each of her contacts, hoping someone can help solve the mystery, but each lead turns out to be a dead end (no pun intended). I loved the Luc and Lindsey bits. And, I enjoyed the interaction, if brief, with Gabriel and his pack. I'm looking forward to [b:Biting Bad|12958037|Biting Bad (Chicagoland Vampires, #8)|Chloe Neill|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1352331754s/12958037.jpg|18115361] in August. I love it when more than one book is released in a year's time.