Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)

Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5) - Stacia Kane Chasing Magic, the 5th book in Stacia's amazing Downside Ghosts series, finds Chess not only fighting her inner demons, but also black magic in Downside. Black magic affects Terrible in such a way that Chess must find out how to reverse what she's done. At this point, I'm not sure what would happen to Chess if she lost Terrible.Chess is full of self-loathing. She doesn't believe herself worthy of ... well, anything. Terrible does his best to keep her tethered to reality, but her drug habit reaches dangerous levels. And, it couldn't be happening at a worse time because Downside's drug supply has been spiked - those who take it become zombies. Despite Chess' fears and severe drug addiction, she is growing. She's trying SO hard to feel deserving of the relationships in her life. Sadly, the past use of her magic to save Terrible has cost her her close relationship with Elder Griffin. This is so sad because he made her feel safe and respected as a Churchwitch. While he has chosen to stand by her and not turn her in for the crime, he has removed himself from promotion and punishes himself for keeping her secret. His subsequent reaction to her broke my heart because I know how important his friendship is to her. But, like Chess, I know Terrible is worth it all. Now, if she could just accept that SHE is worth it all!"Shit. You so fuckin pretty, Chessie. True thing. So ... ain't even can breathe sometimes."Everything stopped. Her breath, her heart, everything, even the breeze making her hair dance over her bare shoulders. It all stopped, leaving her standing there watching herself. As if it wasn't her, because nothing like that could be happening to her. He was talking to some other Chess, some Chess who wasn't filthy and wrong, wasn't a liar and a junkie. She was stealing him from that Chess, the Chess who deserved the happiness pounding its way through her system like a line of the best speed she'd ever done in her life, the Chess who deserved to have someone love her.She wasn't that Chess. But she wasn't giving him up, either. No fucking way. No matter what she had to do.I will absolutely be continuing with this series.