Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls, #1)

Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls, #1) - Jessica Sorensen Rules:1. Never go out after dark.2. Always carry a weapon.3. No matter what, never EVER get bit.Darkness Falls introduces us to Kayla, a Bellator. It's her "job to go out and retrieve things." Sometimes that means going out after dark. It is when she does that she realizes she is a bit more different from the others in The Colony than she initially realized. She is never afraid herself, yet she can sense the fears of others.The author has created an intriguing post-apocalyptic world filled with Bellators (hunters/scavengers, like Kayla), Watchers (The Colony's enforcement - "they wear masks over the[ir] faces, so no one knows for sure what they look like underneath"), Adepti (the genpop of The Colony), and Highers (The Colony's government or rulers). Outside The Colony there are vampires. Sorensen's vampires are infected or diseased. The apocalyptic event, which we do not get a full picture of in this first installment, must have been when people became infected with the "vampire disease". They live outside of The Colony, only coming out at night. I found the story very interesting and found it to be a quick read. The downside is that there are many grammatical/spelling errors and repetitive words/phrases throughout. The repetitive words/phrases were most distracting in the first few chapters, but once I found myself immersed in the story, I was better able to ignore them. I enjoyed the second 1/2 of the book much more than the first. I will most likely read the second book to see how Kayla's story continues.