Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) - Tahereh Mafi Shatter Me introduces us to Juliette who has been neglected for so long that she has withdrawn into herself in order to survive. Her touch is deadly and all she wants is to be accepted and loved. When we meet her, she's on her 264th day of solitary confinement. She's sleep deprived, half-starved nutritionally and mentally, and has an odd internal dialogue. In fact, it's this odd dialogue that may turn-off some readers. I know my composition professors would run out of red ink reviewing Mafi's writing find it very unique and interesting. Mafi's writing felt to me like a type of poetry. It followed her own rules of grammar and formatting. When looked at from that perspective, I was able to accept it after giving my OCDemoness a Valium and ordering it to take a nap because it would have gone insane insane insane insane and enjoy the story. While the Goodreads' blurb states this is "a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men." I would disagree a bit. It is a riveting story, but not similar to Hunger Games and while the idea of Juliet as a superhero is a thrilling idea it also isn't very comparable to X-Men. Of course this is my opinion and others may disagree. If I had to choose another book or film with which to compare this book I would say: the first half reminded me a bit of [b:Ultraviolet|8843789|Ultraviolet|R.J. Anderson|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FTn94wBgL._SL75_.jpg|13718670] strictly because of the two characters' fear of their "abilities", the problems and shunning they have caused them while growing up, and their eventual realization that they are not alone. As for a film .... nothing comes to mind. If you can manage to turn off your internal grammar checker - you will see repetitive words words words with no commas and bizarre analogies - and ignore the way the author uses strikeouts as a way for Juliette to discourage certain thoughts while reading, I think you find this to be an interesting story. For me, it was a quick read; anytime I had to put it down I was anxious to return to it.