Hexbound

Hexbound - Chloe Neill Hexbound picks up where Firespell left off. Lily is still learning about her powers and that of the Adepts. "As Adepts, we promise to give up our magic, to give it back to the universe before it turns us into soul-suckers. Reapers don't. And in order to keep their suddenly hungry power from devouring them from the inside out, they have to feed from the souls of Adepts or humans." They believe that after twenty-five years, "the magic begins to degrade you, to devour your soul like some kind of rangy tentacle monster." Lily and her friend Scout are trying to avoid the "brat-pack drama", but unfortunately it's ever present. I do like Lily and Scout, but at times the story seems to be weighed down by too much angst for me. That's the risk I take when choosing to read YA. I do enjoy the different types of powers Chloe has created in Lily's world. Some can touch buildings to "read the history", manipulate fire or ice and some are wicked fighters. I'm also entrigued by Sebastian. He's a Reaper who appears to be trying to help Lily. Lily is attracted him and visa versa, but he's the bad guy. Or is he? We can't really get a lock on him. I'm looking forward to learning more about him and whether or not everything he's told her is true.As Sebastian tells Lily, "...things are rarely as simple as they seem. Sometimes you don't figure out how the story is supposed to end until you've read it."I'll be continuing the series with Charmfall, which is due in Jan 2012.