Killbox (Sirantha Jax Series #4)

Killbox - Ann Aguirre Killbox, the 4th in Ann Aguirre's Sirantha Jax series, was one of my favorites of the series. One downside ... the wait until September for Aftermath #5 following a cliffhanger. I knew and still I still I read, so I only have myself to blame. ;)This edition finds Sirantha and her merry band of space warriors dealing with slavers, pirates and the continued battle between the Syndicate and the Conglomerate post-Farwan collapse. Sirantha also finds herself dealing with the fact that she's slowly, but surely becoming more ... more realistic in her decision making, more a part of the team and more 'other'. The pace is set high early on and doesn't let us catch our breathe, making this a page-turner you find yourself blowing through without realizing it. March is asked by Councilor Tarn to be commander of a Conglomerate armada, giving him access to much needed funds and allowing him to build it as he sees fit. Knowing it's their best shot, he accepts. Of course his tried and true space mates are first to join up with him. Thus begins yet another self-imposed wedge between March and Sirantha. The relationship between these two continues to be one in which one or both push the other away. But, they always seem to find their way back to each other, even against all odds. So, I'm hoping this case will be no different. When March tells Jax that he cannot continue their sexual relationship while at war, it breaks her heart, but she tries to understand his reasoning. Thankfully, he finally admits that the distance is killing him, as it is her, and they have a touching evening together. Only to have Jax take off on her own on a possibly deadly mission without talking to him about it.We, as readers, can feel the heartbreaking effects of war as the characters battle their way from jump to jump. Ann does a wonderful job of creating stories in which you immediately find yourself walking through the pages with them, feeling their losses and enjoying their moments of celebration and love.I continue to be intrigued by Vel. I cannot wait to learn more about the full story behind the tattoo. Their relationship to date has been one of trust, respect and platonic partnership. You can definitely see what a major part of Jax' life he has become since he found her as a bounty hunter. I have really enjoyed seeing their relationship grow. While he's stated he once had a human lover, I still can't see these two together in a sexual relationship. Probably because, while he's in his true form, we get images of mandibles, clicking and claws. LOL! AND, I'm a big fan of March, so please don't go there. Although, in all fairness, I have to say that I have no doubt, if Ann has plans to take it there, I wouldn't be super surprised, just not super happy about it. She belongs with March. ;) I also liked the addition of the trainee jumper (who's name escapes me at the moment). I'm so happy I finally started this series. I'm anxiously awaiting the next book in the series, Aftermath!Series Reading Order:Grimspace Wanderlust Doubleblind AftermathEndgame - Rls Sept 2012I had a number of favorite quotes throughout this one, here are some:% = % of way through the book95% “Men can be very stupid,” he says bitterly. “We cease to value what we have until it’s gone, and only then do we realize the gold we glimpsed in distant hills paled as dross compared to treasure we had in hand.”""79% "Grimspace is a bitch mistress who carries unearthly delight in one hand and a crop in the other. We bear the latter to receive the former."73% "I’m Sirantha Jax, and I have had enough."53% "I don't see why Jax says stuff like, 'I would never say this aloud, not even to March' or thinks she can keep stuff from him. Isn't he 'always in her head' and wouldn't he know what she was thinking? Or is it that he knows, but hearing her say it would be worse than knowing she's thinking it?" 49% "White wave will never forsake brown bird." 20% "A relationship shouldn’t impose limits—and if it does, then it’s wrong. A lover should help you exceed your potential, not clip your wings." 15% "I’ve learned what some people never do—not to take for granted what I have, while I still have it."12% "There’s something sweet, if suicidal, in this. We’re bound by chains of love, but they don’t weigh us down. Instead, they allow us to be bigger and better than we are."