Luna

Luna - Julie Anne Peters Luna was born Liam. When we meet him, he's a high school senior, but he's known he is a girl trapped in a boy's body since he was much younger. When Liam was nine years old, he asked his mom for a Barbie and a bra. Then, at his party, he couldn't understand why, after having given the list to his mom, he didn't get the presents.His younger sister, Regan, is the only other person who knows his secret. The secret doesn't just weigh heavily on Liam/Luna, it's also taking its toll on Regan. She loves her brother and does all she can to help him become the person he was always meant to be.The scene in the very first chapter draws you into their story completely: ❝Rolling over, I muttered, "You're such a freakshow." Her hair splayed across my pillow, tickling my face. "I know," she murmured in my ear. "But you love me, don't you?" Her lips grazed my cheek. I swatted her away. As I heard her slog across the floor toward my desk - where she'd unveiled her makeup caddy in all its glory - a sigh of resignation escaped my lips. Yeah, I loved her. I couldn't help it. She was my brother.❞Luna spends many nights in Regan's room transforming herself into someone who "can pass". It truly breaks your heart. She doesn't want much more than to just be able to "pass", meaning be out in public without people pointing and staring at her. Throughout the story, we see their mom struggle with the knowledge, you know she has deep down, but won't admit, by taking uppers and downers, avoiding her family by keeping herself immersed in work. Their father insists Liam play baseball, knowing that he's not interested. Regan, on the other hand, supports Liam to the point where she is losing sleep and feels unable to fully take part in her own life for fear of the secret she keeps.❝My brother was a black hole in my universe. He was sucking the life right out of me. It seemed as if I was being pulled into this crater by a force I couldn't fight. Liam was already down there. We were together at the bottom. The crater was deep and dark and closing in on us. We couldn't move, couldn't rise, couldn't see to find out way out.❞Liam reaches the point where he's ready to take the final step, stop pretending, start becoming. The butterfly on the cover is a perfect representation of his struggle. Regan says it best, ❝Like a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis, I thought. An exquisite and delicate creature, unfolding her wings and flying away. Except in Luna's case, the butterfly is forced to rein in her wings and reinsert herself into the cocoon every day. Every single day, she has to become this shell of a person.❞This was an amazing story of two strong teenagers that, due to prejudices, were forced to be less than their true selves and, because of those prejudices, suffered needlessly. I long for a day when all bisexual, homosexual and transgendered children (and adults, for that matter) can be themselves without fear. Fear of isolation and humiliation. I hope I'm alive when we, as a nation, realize that "normal" is subjective to each person and no matter what "normal" is to you, I ACCEPT YOU.