Intertwined (Intertwined Series #1)

Intertwined - Gena Showalter Wow! How to rate this one?? I'll give it 3.5★ for a few reasons: (1) The stories were original, just a bit too much jammed into one book, IMO. (2) The characters were likable for the most part. (3) I will read #2 to see if it's a bit better put together. Intertwined tells quite a few stories, the MAIN story of Aden, a sixteen year old who has had four souls inside of him since he can remember. One can time-travel, one can raise the dead, one can tell the future and one can possess another human. He's currently living with Dan, a man who runs a home for troubled teen boys. He's been in and out of mental institutions, seen a number of therapists, mainly because he's always talking (out loud) to the souls (inside him) who just won't stop talking to him. Then, he meets Mary Ann and they are quiet. He finds peace for the first time. He can't wait to see her again, find out how she's able to stop the souls, but the souls want him to stay away from her (initially) because when he's near her, they go into the "black". That storyline alone would have been okay, but Gena doesn't stop there. Turns out Aden has been dreaming about a beautiful girl and in his vision he kisses her. He's half in love with her before he eventually meets her. Her name is Victoria and she's been "drawn" to him.Again, ok .... but, nope, that's not all. Throw in Victoria's guardian, Riley, who falls for Mary Ann. He doesn't like Aden, but Mary Ann won't abandon Aden. She feels sorry for the boy that has been isolated all his life, yet never alone b/c of the souls. Plus, Victoria insists on spending time with Aden and Riley gives in (so he can spend time with Mary Ann, I believe).Strangely, Mary Ann accepts all of Aden's "issues" without much shock, which is pretty unbelievable, IMO. Many of the characters in the story are not who or what they appear to be. Many have also been "drawn" to Aden. The duel romances could've been written in separate books, IMO. I thoroughly enjoyed many of the story bits in this book. The only problem was, it was like an anthology, lots of mini-stories, with no real beginning or ending. It was kinda all over the place. So many story lines, an overload of supes, just a mess. There were so many bits that were never resolved, fully addressed or explained. We were supposed to just accept it all as is, along with Mary Ann, I guess.I love Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series. Those are packed with a main story plus lots of side stories, about the other Lords. I have always loved and appreciated that since I tend to get attached to each Lord, so it's always nice to see what they're up to while learning more about one specific Lord and his HEA. This book though didn't approach the complex story the same way, which surprises me. I am hopeful that book 2, Unraveled, addresses some of the things omitted in this one.Forgive the pathetic review, I was trying to keep spoilers out and it was harder than I thought when I started. This book was a jumble of stories, I think many would make an interesting book, just not all in one. :)