GRamblings of an Addled Mind

All of this gives me a migraine.  And, it's just plain depressing, frustrating, infuriating, add feeling/adjectives here ...

Do ya'll think this will eventually be resolved to everyone's liking?    A happy medium, maybe?  I'm feeling skeptical. And, that's very unlike me, which makes me even more sad.  Goodreads used to represent happiness, community, friendship, like-minds, discovery, exploration, laughter.  *sad*so very, very sad*

On GR, I've never bashed anyone or been bashed, for that matter.  I count myself lucky.  Bullying and censorship are disgusting and unacceptable.

Whenever I try to stop and think about all I'm reading on the chaos, I can't help but wonder how GR/TPTB won't/can't admit that book buying (and by default reading and reviewing) is often based on more than an appealing cover and blurb.  At times, the author(s), the publisher, the marketer are consideration factors as well.  If you don't support those entities you won't buy the book.

-- This makes me think of the  tuna boycotts in the '80s when Sam La Budde films dolphins being caught and killed while netting for tuna.

As a result, "In 1990, the three largest tuna companies in the world - StarKist, Bumblebee, and Chicken of the Sea - agreed to stop purchasing, processing, and selling tuna caught by intentional chasing and netting of dolphins.

Due to legislation in the U.S. Congress, supported by IMMP and the tuna industry, this standard of "non-encirclement" of dolphins became the U.S. legal standard for the "Dolphin Safe" tuna label."

Authors cannot expect readers to create "author's feelings safe" review labels.  Surely, the majority do not intentionally seek to hurt the feelings of an author.  However, honest reviews and ratings will sometimes do just that.  And, if a person chose to avoid an author because of their improper, impolite, unappealing behavior and their shelves are there to sort their books, it's not surprising shelves such as "author to avoid" or "will not read" would begin to appear.  The fact that others share their opinion and chose to create similar shelves should also be no big surprise.  Why do they (GR/TPTB) think they have enough similar shelving habits to create a "Top shelves" list in the first place.

I read an article someplace that remarked on the behaviors of self-published authors (those who do not have -a brain- or a publicist or such to -teach them manners- help them navigate the waters of good and bad reviews to know when to -keep negative thoughts between themselves and their therapist/partner/family- refrain from engaging in direct and inflammatory communication with or about their readers).  And, the influx of self-published authors, due in large part to the ease of doing so, has led to (or at the very least contributed greatly) the author/reviewer battles of late.

I can see that.  I can see that some may find it difficult to turn away from the screen, focus on the good vs. bad, and just accept that not everyone will love what they've put out there for the world to read.  But, why should the reader/review be punished?

Like it or not, authors and readers have a symbiotic relationship - albeit a sometimes parasitic one.  If authors do not write books, we do not have books to read.  During my time on GR, I have learned the power a book review can have when it is shared with another person.  That said, I still have a mind of my own.  If I love Coke and you love Pepsi, no matter how well you describe your love for the taste or the color of its pretty blue can, I will still avoid Pepsi and drink Coke.  That does not mean, I cannot enjoy your montage about the joys of crackin' open a can of Pepsi and your drinking experience.

I truly and sincerely hope that this is not the beginning of the end of GR.  I trusted the TPTB  when they said,

It's important to be clear that Goodreads and the awesome team behind it are not going away. Goodreads will continue to be the wonderful community that we all cherish. We plan to continue offering you everything that you love about the site—the ability to track what you read, discover great books, discuss and share them with fellow book lovers, and connect directly with your favorite authors—and your reviews and ratings will remain here on Goodreads.

Well, some of that is already proving false.  Here's hoping wrongs can be righted before all those who made GR GReat are gone.

Thus ends my cry and rant.  Apologies for anything that doesn't quite make sense outside of my rattled brain; thank you for listening!  (((GR friends)))